Every migraine sufferer I've spoken to has experienced the exact same thing I have - 'helpful' suggestions. Everyone seems to know someone whose migraines were 'cured' by something that they think I should try, or they've read something in the news that was apparently a miracle cure which they insist I should be trying or they've just heard general migraine trivia and can't help but tell me about them as though I wouldn't know already.
What non-migraine sufferers (and indeed also some sufferers) don't seem to understand is that migraine is different for every person who experiences them. The circumstances required to 'trigger' a migraine are complex and is more about thresholds than triggers which I talked about when I discussed my everyday life with migraine.
I thought it might be useful for people who know me, who genuinely want to help me but who don't want to keep helpfully suggesting things I've already tried, if I listed the things I have tried already and those I'm planning to try next. I expect this list to be a dynamic one which I will update as I try new things.
This isn't a journey I'm going through on my own, just making things up or doing whatever people suggest to me, I have specialist care at the Headache Clinic at York Hospital and I work with them regarding my treatments so if you suggest something which seems legitimate and isn't on my list, please don't be offended if I don't try it.
Without further ado, these are the things I've tried with those I currently use in green:
Acute Treatment
DiclofenacMigraleve
Paracetamol & Codeine
Sumatriptan
Almotriptan
Eletriptan
Naratriptan
Ibuprofen
Preventative Treatment
40mg Propranalol 3 times a day80mg Propranalol 2 times a day
1.5mg Pizotifen once a day
Other Treatments or Potential 'Triggers'
Food Elimination. I haven't found any food or drink other than alcohol to be a 'trigger' for me. These are the things I have eliminated to see if my migraines improve without them:- Alcohol
- Chocolate
- Cheese
- Citrus Fruits
- MSG
- Dairy
- Yeast
- Caffeine
- Pickled foods
- Nuts
- Dried fruits
Clinical Psychologist (as referred to by my Headache Clinic)
Acupuncture (as referred to by my Headache Clinic)
Regular Sleep Pattern
Weather Changes
Hormones - I tricycle the combined pill (Loestrin 20) to level out my hormones to prevent the migraines I always got at ovulation and mentruation
Good Hydration
Avoid Bright Lights
No Exertion
Regular Meals
Reduced Travelling
Stress Management
Eye test and new glasses
Regular gentle exercise
Professional massage
TENS unit
An eye patch (see my previous post as to why this might help me)
If you're not a fellow chronic migraine sufferer then it is possible that you may know something which could help me, but chances are I already know about it and there's a reason why I haven't tried it and I'm not planning on trying it. You're free to suggest it but please don't be offended if I simply direct you to this post or I don't try it for reasons I don't explain to you.
If you ARE a fellow chronic migraine sufferer and there's something you think I'm missing, please do tell me!
Clinical Psychologist (as referred to by my Headache Clinic)
Acupuncture (as referred to by my Headache Clinic)
Regular Sleep Pattern
Weather Changes
Hormones - I tricycle the combined pill (Loestrin 20) to level out my hormones to prevent the migraines I always got at ovulation and mentruation
Good Hydration
Avoid Bright Lights
No Exertion
Regular Meals
Reduced Travelling
Stress Management
Eye test and new glasses
Things I'm planning on trying or considering trying:
A different preventative medication such as Amitriptyline or TopamaxRegular gentle exercise
Professional massage
TENS unit
An eye patch (see my previous post as to why this might help me)
If you're not a fellow chronic migraine sufferer then it is possible that you may know something which could help me, but chances are I already know about it and there's a reason why I haven't tried it and I'm not planning on trying it. You're free to suggest it but please don't be offended if I simply direct you to this post or I don't try it for reasons I don't explain to you.
If you ARE a fellow chronic migraine sufferer and there's something you think I'm missing, please do tell me!
0 comments:
Post a Comment